Tuesday, January 20, 2009

PB-4 for 2iC's :Representations from Officers

I am reproducing a letter sent by one CPMF officer to his DG regarding the non inclusion of CPMF 2iCs in PB-4. I hope other officers in the CPMF are also voicing their concern to their respective chiefs. A quick search on google however gives a blank. Posted below is the edited version of that letter

Dear Sir, 

Wish you a very happy new year. It is heartening to see PM intervening favorably to Army generals who have actively and successfully represented the case of Lt Cols in Army for up gradation to Pay Band-4. The up gradation vindicates the stand of Army for a distinct place and role attached to the rank of Lt Col as Second-in-Command in a Battalion. I see in it the acceptance of a justified place for a Second-in-Command’ of a battalion matched by a commensurate pay package

Denial of the same status to ‘Second-in-Command’   is however a severe blow to my self esteem as a Second-in-Command of a  Battalion. The decision smells of the double standards discriminating CPMF officer vis-à-vis Army Lt Col who has been recognized as the favored one. Sir, forced to accept a lower status  and compelled to believe to be  ‘last among equals’ ,I still have a right to dignity and equality.In the wake of government’s decision I wish to communicate my apprehensions. I fear- 

Ÿ         Loss of status 

Ÿ         Disparity in protocol and humiliation at gatherings where even if representing as Officiating Commandant I would be treated as junior to all Lt Cols of Army.

Ÿ         Loss of Self esteem due to non recognition. Issue of Lt Cols vs. 2ICs has come up in open in terms of parity.

Ÿ         Financial Loss that accumulates to  lacs when calculated in comparison to Lt Cols in Army.

  My pride in the uniform has suffered a serious erosion in the present rank  twice. First, when Pay Commission placed the rank of 2IC in Pay Band -3 forgetting that the rank has command obligations and secondly when Honorable Prime minister restored status to Lt Cols and neglected 2ICs in CPMF.  I still preserve my hopes with you as DG   to correct the anomaly.

 Sir, today with 20 years of service, officers of the rank of Second-in-Command are feeling humiliated and de-motivated. The extent of injustice and the  apathy towards CPMF officers in the government hierarchy is appalling.  I am pinning my hopes on you being our Director General, in whom I repose my confidence and faith to take up the matter with Shri P Chidambaram,  the Honorable Home Minister and with Honorable Prime Minister of India who I am sure would do justice if informed properly. A favorable action would go a long way in improving the feeling of pride in uniform .         

Devbrat Negi   

Second-in-Command

2 comments:

  1. grievances expressed by the officer are geniuine.DG BSF is requested to take up the matter with govt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree with it. Bsf does the same job as army and in some cases that of a police too. So BSF officers and jawans should be given their due without a doubt. Some has said that " a country which forgets its defenders is herself forgotten". Let this situation not go to that extent.

    ReplyDelete